Preparing for a world cruise
Required documents for a world cruise
When you book your world cruise or sector, there are a few key tasks you can undertake to get your cruise preparation off to a great start.
Your world cruise essentials
When it comes to packing for your world cruise, there are several factors to take into consideration. Each port of call is different, and you may encounter both hot and cold climates. You'll also need to think about your on board options for the day and night. Many guests choose to create a capsule wardrobe, pairing staple clothing items that can be easily layered and interchanged for efficient outfits in every destination.
- A comfortable pair of shoes to walk in.
- A warm coat.
- A lightweight waterproof jacket.
- Shorts and skirts.
- T-shirts and blouses.
- Work out clothing (if you wish to use the gym).
- Formal attire, including shoes.
- Flip flops.
- A kaftan or cover-up.
- A cardigan or light jacket.
Researching your world cruise destinations
Each port of call on a world cruise, or sector, carries with it its own unique cultural flavour, with countless sights to see, things to do, and cuisine to sample.
Whether you choose books, websites, or social media, there’s plenty of information and recommendations out there about ports all over the world. Our destination page is a great place to start.
Count down to your voyage
Six months before you sail
- Check the visa and immunisation requirements for your ports of call and apply for any visas as needed.
- Research any additional travel arrangements and transfers you may need.
- Book flights if necessary.
Three months before you sail
- Review your medication requirements and make sure you order any prescriptions you will need while on your world cruise.
- Organise home care or pet care if needed.
One month before you sail
- Begin to organise your cruise luggage and shop items you might need to pack .
- Arrange airport transfers if necessary.
- Complete and submit any forms required by your cruise provider.
- Make sure you have your cruise luggage tags.
- Research and book any dining or beverage packages for on board as well as any speciality dining or spa experiences you'd like.
Two weeks before you sail
- Make a copy of your passport and print it along with your itinerary, flight information, travel insurance details, book internet packages and contact information.
- Contact your bank or credit card providers to inform them you will be travelling.
Frequently asked questions about world cruises
Discover your next world cruise
Join Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria in 2024 to discover some of the world's most iconic destinations.